Friday 18 August 2017

Cycle 1 - Halfway check

So I've just had my two week check for my first cycle on my trial drug. Rob drove me to Guildford and we met with Avril (the research nurse), she sent me off for my blood tests. I had to wait for about an hour for my bloods to be taken and once they were done we met Avril again. I was feeling really anxious and shaky, we chatted about the side effects I've been having and I was then sent off for an ECG.

Common issues from my trial drug at this point are low blood counts, rarer are issues like heart problems.

We were waiting to meet TC when Avril came to see me and told me there is an issue with my heart rhythm. Fuck. The QT something or other was too high. I had to wait for an hour and then have another ECG.


We were waiting for ages to see TC, and when we were finally called in, my second ECG also showed that the QT rate was too high. The rate had reduced since the first one, but not enough for the trial parameters or to actually be safe. Therefore they've taken me off the trial drug for a week but I still continue with letrozole. 

TC said not to worry and that at the start they will always play around until they get the dose right. Easier said than done though. I guess it makes sense, as why would a dose for me be the same dose as say a 15 stone woman... I have to go back in a week for a repeat ECG and then they will look at what to do, probably reduce my ribociclib dose down. I've just got to hope this is what happens rather than getting taken off it all together.

I also told TC and Avril about my lack of sleep. Although when I take the diphenhydramine I manage to sleep fitfully (as in I still wake multiple times a night but I manage to fall asleep again after the night sweats), it still isn't good sleep. So he's prescribed me something called zopiclone which I will take tonight:
Zopiclone boosts the effectiveness of a chemical in the brain called gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). GABA blocks transmission across nerves in the brain and has a calming effect. By boosting the effectiveness of GABA, zopiclone improves sleep.

Then yet more waiting until I had my adamantium which was pretty much the same as last time, apart from the fact every chair was full of different people receiving treatment. When I last had it, I had the ward to myself. I've just got to hope I don't get the horrible pain tomorrow like what happened 6 weeks ago, please please!

No comments:

Post a Comment