Monday 24 July 2017

CT Scan

Today is a week since my operation, I'm recovering physically and mentally a small bit each day but it's been very tough going.

I had yet another scan today, a CT scan at East Surrey. This one is to establish baseline results for my trial. We got there for 09:30 and I was ready to drink my 600ml of water in half an hour to ready my body for the IV iodine when I was called into a side room. "Mrs Clarke you need to have a blood test,  we need to make sure your renal function is ok, it has to have been in the last 6 weeks and the last one we have for you is 7 weeks old". Me, bugger. Because I've had lymph nodes removed in my left arm and therefore am at risk of lymphoedema in that arm, it always has to be my right arm that's used for bloods, IVs, blood pressure tests etc. I.e. My sore and painful arm.

The nurse there tries to take me blood but my veins aren't playing ball. After being stabbed in my poor sore arm, I go to phlebotomy where they get the bloods, it's sodding painful though. We then head back to the scanning waiting area and wait for a while until the bloods come back. Eventually they do, all ok and I can start drinking the water.

I'm then called into the CT scanning room, I know the drill, asked lots of questions, I try not to scoff/cry when they ask me if there's a possibility I could be pregnant.... I'm asked to lie on the bed and the team leave. The scanner whirs around me, takes a few images and then the team come back in to the room and cannulate my poor arm. The iodine dye is injected and I feel like I've wet myself, totally normal apparently:

When the iodinated contrast is injected, most people will get a strange metallic taste in the mouth and feel a warm sensation through the body. This warm sensation may concentrate around the groin or buttock region and can feel like you may have wet yourself, even though you have not. Do not be concerned if this happens, it is a common sensation and usually goes away within a couple of minutes.

I then have a number of images taken and have to hold my breath at certain points. After about 10 minutes it's finished. They remove the cannula from my poor pin cushion resembling arm and I can go home. I have two days' respite now and then on Thursday I have more scanning and tests. Tomorrow and Wednesday I need to try and recuperate some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment